On 13-Jan-2002 Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 11:19:36AM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>> So, I was a E hacker way back when and saw the birth of Eterm.  I even used
>> work with its author (ick).
>
> You have my condolences. :)  Eterm... bleah.  So much required, for so
> little gain.

yeah ......

>> When Eterm was created it was realized that there is NO way to find out what
>> the root looks like.
>
> Seriously?  That surprises me, since obviously screen grabber applications
> can deal with the idea.  Or do they go directly to the hardware display of
> the image?  I freely admit that I know pretty much nothing about
> programming under X.

You can ask for the root, but you are then responsible for many other things,
the code is not as happy.

>> So they made an app which sets an Atom that others apps (liek Eterm) can
>> query.
>
> The image is stored in the atom?  Seems memory intensive.  Or is there just
> a pointer to it?

Atom's hold integer indexes into the X server.  You store the Pixmap ID and
then ask for it.

>> Once Eterm's psuedo transparency became popular other people used the
>> idea.  So this is how xchat and other apps achieve the same thing.  Note
>> that same apps (xv) do not set this Atom which is why Eterm does not work
>> with xv.
>
> Hm, implying that either:
>
> (1) all other root-setting applications are broken
>         - or -
> (2) what Eterm/Esetroot do is non-standard
>
> Which is it? ^_^

Eterm is non standard, the programs that do not support the ROOT_ID atom are
all programs written before 1996.  Some of them even worked under X11R5 (-:

The standards were written before many of us began using X and have not changed.

The id is however standard among GNOME, E, other wms, and I think even good
parts of KDE.

>> aterm codes a fall back.  If the Atom is not set, it sets its background
>> to ParentRelative which mimics the root window.  This however does not
>> work as well.
>
> So there is a way to find out the root bitmap, then? :)

sorta.  You say "draw my background as if I were my parent".  You get no
control or access.

>> The proper solution is for bsetroot to properly set the Atoms that the
>> transparent apps want.
>
> What about bitmaps in general?  We have bsetbg, which requires one of
> display/Esetroot/xsri/xv, and it sounds like only Esetroot does things in
> the right way.

I have not tried display recently, it may have been updated.