it sounds like he's a little confused about what ctrl-z does... he says
he uses it to send the process to the "background", but that's not what
ctrl-z does at all. ctrl-z just *stops* the process. while stopped, it
can't do anything. it can't respond to input, create output, or receive
events from blackbox or anything else. what you need to do to send the
process to the background is press ctrl-z and then type "bg", as martin
illustrated in his example but didn't point out explicitly.