On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 08:08:36PM -0500, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-book wrote:

> On 4/12/21 3:00 PM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-book wrote:
> > On Mon, 2021-04-12 at 17:40 +0000, BLFS Trac via blfs-book wrote:
> > > #14887: thunderbird-78.9.1
> > > -------------------------+---------------------
> > >   Reporter:  renodr       |       Owner:  timtas
> > >       Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  closed
> > >
> > > Comment (by ken@…):
> > >
> > >   First you need to follow the git editors guide to clone the lfswww
> > >   repository.
> > >
> > >   Within that, the files are in blfs/advisories/
> > >
> > >   First go to consolidated.html. There is quite a long commented note
> > > about
> > >   what to do.
> > >   Please read that.
> > >
> > >   After the comments you will find the latest advisory, with older ones
> > >   below it. Note that the id link (above the h4 header) starts sa- to make
> > >   the html validation tool happy, and
> > >
> > >   It is often easiest to find an earlier link for the same package -
> > >   sa-10.1-012 seems a nice short one, you could copy that as a basis (e.g.
> > >   the links to the books should be correct). In this case the mozilla
> > >   advisory is mfsa2021-13/ and the severity is Medium.
> > >
> > >   Change the text as necessary, add cve links to nvd, or else to mitre, if
> > >   they exist and are informative. In the general case, start searching for
> > >   other links if nothing was found (for mozilla, the mfsa will normally
> > > say
> > >   something, other vulnerabilities might need a summary of what the
> > > problem
> > >   is).
> > >
> > >   When you think you have got the consolidated item correct, check it in
> > >   your browser. If you are doing the edit on your desktop machine, no
> > >   problem. I keep my repos on my local server and render the books via
> > >   apache. In my case I need to set files to point to where the books
> > > should
> > >   be rendered, and for advisories and errata I have symlinks pointing to
> > > the
> > >   blfs/advisories/ and blfs/errata/ directories (and also for lfs).
> > >
> > >   If the new consolidated item looks ok and the links (both external and
> > >   the dev books) work, you can then do the second part:
> > >
> > >   Edit 10.1.html (i.e. the name changes after each release). This is
> > > ordered
> > >   alphabetically, except when I've screwed up, and within the package
> > > newest
> > >   updates come first.
> > >
> > >   You will see there is a commented <h3>PackageName</h3> as a guide. We
> > > now
> > >   have sa- id's on each item, which allows links to other packages if
> > > needed
> > >   (it is not normally needed).
> > >   Find where the new advisory belongs, copy the id and h4 from
> > >   consolidated,html with a note  of the problem (often short). Finish
> > > with:
> > >   To fix this(or these) update to PackageName-x.y.z or
> > >   later. Follow that with a link to the consolidated page (remember to
> > >   change the link number if copying it).

> [...]

Chapter 7, 'Security Advisories' ?

I'll think about it, and then you can all reword my excessive
verbiage.  Some of De Bello Gallico having been read by me in latin
in school, I never knowingly use three words when I can use five -
or as one of my history teachers described it "throwing lumps of
linguistic dung" ;-)

I suppose I should create a branch for this, since the current book
is publically viewable at rivendell and we don't want the raw w-i-p
to frighten the world at this point ?

Oh, and I see we're all replying to blfs-book as Douglas had already
mentioned elsewhere!

Seriously, I'm still feeling my way on some of *how* we should
handle security, e.g. items which came to light some time after we
had already moved to a later version and had our own release.

It will take me several days (or more) to put something together.

ĸen
--
Music teaches you to get past a mistake: If you make one when you play
live, you can't stop. You just have to carry on.   -- Richard Thompson