On 8/12/05, Randy McMurchy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tushar Teredesai wrote these words on 08/11/05 23:41 CST:
>
> > * Release: For general use. Currently 2.3.4 & 2.2.7.
> > * Stable Release: Currently 2.2.6. Proved stable thru general use.
> > * Testing Release: Unstable.
> > It looks like the release to follow as per the guidelines for other
> > packages is the latest release since their definition of stable seems
> > to be different from what other maintainers use:) Note that I am not
> > suggesting using the latest release for BLFS, just was not sure what
> > their terminology is.
>
> Now I am as confused as you Tush.

:-)

> I've always used the 'stable'
> versions, however, it appears what is in the book is the 'release'
> versions (which in this case right now is 2.2.27).

The book is currently at 2.2.24.

> Perhaps in versions past the 'stable' version and the 'release'
> versions were the same. I'm thinking this was the case.

I don't think the stable and the release versions were ever the same.
They promote a release to stable only after it has proved to be stable
after general use.

> Biggest tip to me is that in the 'stable' download directories, there
> are no release versions just dated versions.

Yep, I think they timestamp the stable releases.

We have two options:
(1) Go with the stable release. In this case we should also use the
same timestamp versioned tarballs that they use.
(2) Go with the general release (currently 2.3.4).

I have no particular preference, but if asked to vote I would vote for (2).

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]