DJ Lucas wrote these words on 09/26/05 01:09 CST:

> I really don't think that it matters a whole lot so long as the chosen
> group does exist ;-) and is not given perms where they're not needed,
> but I'll throw out a suggestion anyway.  The group 'nogroup' might work
> well.  For me personally on my own systems, I will use a matching group
> name to ease (or furthur complicate) administration....but I do this for
> all users anyway and match gid and uid as well.  I know RH's useradd
> defaults used to work this way, I'm not sure of their current practice.

I'm starting to think that BLFS needs a short section on how to
create regular users of the system. Best I can recall, nowhere do
we identify how to set up a regular user of the system.

Though it seems trivial, some do it one way (create a "users" group)
and others do it another way (how you suggest, creating a matching
group name for each user name).

BLFS should probably have a paragraph in the "About System Users
and Groups" section in Chapter 3 that recommends one way or another.

Thoughts from the group would be appreciated...

--
Randy

01:12:01 up 1 day, 9:36, 3 users, load average: 1.18, 1.00, 0.60