Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
<snip tons of good stuff and useful links that should be in a font hint>
4) Andrew Benton wants to remove GTK1 and other legacy toolkits from the book,

It's true, but I don't think it's likely to happen anytime soon.

and he made X core fonts misconfigured as the first step (his exact words: "I removed it [FontPath instruction for Cyrillic users -- AEP] because we install Fontconfig. Fonts are not configured in xorg.conf or XF86Config").

No, that wasn't part of some larger masterplan, that was incompetence. I didn't realise that gtk1 and other legacy apps still used xorg.conf and XF86Config to configure their fonts. I thought fonts were configured with /etc/fonts/local.conf

Andy