On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 03:41:46PM -0500, Joe Ciccone wrote:
> The wiki is probably the best way to maintain something like a multilib
> BLFS. The instructions for 32bit and 64bit arent always the same,
> sometimes you have to set LDFLAGS and others. I have been taking notes
> while building my current multilib system, so, I have some instructions
> that I could get in as soon as it goes up, giving that it does.

And that info can also be written up in a hint and submitted, too. There
is absolutely no *need* for a wiki. Some love it, some hate it. Either
way, it isn't implemented now, but the information can still be
accessed. Joe, you could have a format like this:

PackageA:
---------
Follow BLFS but add SOMEVAR=someval before ./configure.

PackageB:
---------
Use these instructions instead of BLFS
<insert instructions>

That's all that is needed. We don't *need* to implement some fancy
technology. You don't even have to submit it as a hint, as you have an
html dir available to you to place it and you can edit it whenever
necessary. People can email the appropriate list or the doco maintainer
and say X doesn't work but Y does. Then the people in the know can look
at it and update the doc if needed. When it is stable, it can go into
the book. As for preference, that may fall to a wiki, but I caution
people to heed Richard's advice regarding its implementation lest it
become a cesspool.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch