Miguel Bazdresch wrote:
Hello,

I'm installing kde for the first time. I'm installing it in /opt. I'm
following today's svn book (kde 3.5.0).

I got this when configuring kdelibs:

 checking for pcre-config... not found
 configure: error: You're missing libpcre.
 Download libpcre from http://www.pcre.org or find a binary package for your
platform.
 Alternatively, you can specify --disable-pcre, but some web pages -
 using regular
 expressions in Javascript code - will not work correctly, the regexp
 support being quite limited if libpcre isn't present.
 make[1]: *** [kdelibs] Error 1
 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/miguel/scripts/make'
 make: *** [kde] Error 2

PCRE is listed as a recommended dependency but it seems to me it's
required.

It's not required - you can add "--disable-pcre" to configure if you don't have it.