Bruce Dubbs wrote:
I've had some success with the wireless.  I can now communicate via a
wireless card on a LFS system.   I've got a built in card and an
external PCMCIA card, but I've only checked out the PCMCIA card for now.
 I don't anticipate any problems though.

For the record, this is what I found out:

You have to have the right drivers installed!  In my case, I needed
madwifi drivers.  The kernel drivers needed fell into two categories:
bus and network card.

For the bus->PCCARD (PCMCIA/CardBus) support, I needed "CardBus
yenta-compatible bridge support and "16-bit PCMCIA support", but I also
think (not sure) I needed "Support for PCI Hotplug".  More on this later.

In the Networking section I needed:
  Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack

I also enabled:
  IEEE 802.11 WEP encryption (802.1x)
  IEEE 802.11i CCMP support
  IEEE 802.11i TKIP encryption

Is the ieee802 stuff driver-specific or is it needed for just about any kind of wireless connection? I know my wireless driver (ipw2200) needs this as well...

In device drivers->Network devices->Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
  Hermes chipset 802.11b support (Orinoco/Prism2/Symbol)
  Hermes in PLX9052 based PCI adaptor support (Netgear MA301 etc.)
  Hermes in TMD7160 based PCI adaptor support
  Nortel emobility PCI adaptor support
  Prism 2.5 PCI 802.11b adaptor support
  Hermes PCMCIA card support

I'm not 100% all these are required.  I suppose I could redo the kernel
build to make these modules and see which ones are needed.

In any case, on my system, when the cards are recognized by the drivers,
they show up in /proc/net/wireless and in a cryptic manner in /sys.

After that, using wireless-tools and ifconfig (I do prefer net-tools), I
can get the net cards up.

Overall, I think this is fairly complicated.  I'm going to have to think
about what to say in the book.  Right now, there seems to be two
packages needed: wireless-tools and madwifi drivers, but there needs to
be a section on configuration too.

Most of the complicated stuff seems to be in setting up the driver and getting the device recognized. Once that's done, you can just treat it like any other network device (plus the configuration with iwconfig). I have a wireless setup with WEP, and I just have the standard {,B}LFS network and dhcpcd bootscripts + one "wireless" bootscript (really just a single command - /usr/sbin/iwconfig eth0 essid mynetwork enc myencryptionkey - though I'm sure BLFS would want to install the wireless-tools progs into / just like the rest of the base-level network stuff).

Additional hardware-specific-info: the ipw2200 driver must be compiled as a module. I seem to have lost the link that explained the reason for this, but I believe it has something to do with the driver somehow not being able to load the firmware if it's built in to the kernel.

Things I haven't explored yet: encryption/keys, scripting, hotplug/udev.
This is certainly a non-trivial topic.

  -- Bruce

What about the info on WPA in this hint - http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/wpa-dhcpcd.txt ? Of course, I only have a simple wireless setup with WEP myself so I don't have any idea how well that WPA hint works...

Also, if you're going to add driver info (madwifi) to the book, perhaps ndiswrapper should be added as well for hardware drivers that don't yet have native linux versions. Though, I haven't had much luck with ndiswrapper myself...in my experience it seems to lock up the computer any time the wireless connection drops, but I wonder if this is typical or just bad luck (or user error) on my part.