Randy McMurchy wrote:
But you never answered my question, what did you do to get inotify to
work on a stock LFS system. It is becoming clear to me now, but how
you're getting inotify to work is still a mystery to me.

I didn't answer because I would just have been repeating what Dan said. I'm not using a `stock' LFS system, I built this system with the headers from the 2.6.16 kernel, Gnome VFS checks the kernel headers for inotify

checking linux/inotify.h usability... yes
checking linux/inotify.h presence... yes
checking for linux/inotify.h... yes
checking sys/inotify.h usability... yes
checking sys/inotify.h presence... yes
checking for sys/inotify.h... yes