Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I agree with your comment about explaining the pppoe connection setup by
>> hand.  I don't think I'm qualified to do that though because I have
>> never used it.  Are you saying to use the explanation in the ppp wiki
>> page or something else?
>
> Yes. This also applies to dialup connections and wvdial.

Alexander,
  I updated the book to version 3.8 but after thinking about it, I
decided to leave the explanation of the connection setup to the wiki.
>From what I can tell, the rp package has some "wizard" type programs
that can help a user get connected.

<rant>
I see absolutely no reason for the pppoe protocol.  You have an ethernet
connection--this is not dialup.  A simple dhcp is all that is needed.
pppoe adds complication and overhead.  Its a solution to a non problem.

>From what I have read, an ISP may want it to integrate with their
dial-up or is a (cumbersome) way to account for connection time.  You
have a user id and password.  Why?  Because someone might splice into
your line?  How silly.

I put this in the same category as the so called Digital Rights where
all the rights belong to the provider.  You buy something but the seller
want to control the way you use it.

I would only use pppoe if there is no other option and I wouldn't be
happy about it.
</rant>