Bruce Dubbs wrote:

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
Bruce Dubbs wrote:

From what I have read, an ISP may want it to integrate with their
dial-up or is a (cumbersome) way to account for connection time.  You
have a user id and password.  Why?  Because someone might splice into
your line?  How silly.
Yes, because such types of crime are common here. And don't forget: in
Russia, unlimited plans are available to organizations only (or are
crippled to something like "HTTP-only, 128 kbps"). Traffic costs
something like $0.1 per megabyte, and I certainly don't want to end up
with a bill exceeding my salary. That's why the password.

Interesting, but from what I can tell, the username/password is sent in
the clear.  If someone does splice into the line, couldn't they just
listen and sniff the data?
Not at all, if the ISP uses CHAP instead of PAP. Also, for the intruder, injecting data into the phone line, while my computer is off, requires only a splitter and a cable modem. Sniffing the cable (not the ethernet cable, but the phone line before the splitter) requires equipment not commonly available.

The traffic costs seem to be quite a rip-off.  What is that cost again?
What you have above is 10 cents per MB.  If that's the cost, then there
is quite an incentive to steal.
Yes, that's approximately the price. 2.50 RUR per megabyte on the "Classic" plan (see http://ekt.usi.ru/home/ek/internet/xdsl/tarif/), and 1USD = 27.36 RUR today.

But I use the "Pop" plan, not "Classic".

--
Alexander E. Patrakov