Dan Nicholson wrote:

> The BLFS book is really not about scripting. A very special exception
> was made for Xorg-7 because it is so huge that this is the only way to
> realistically manage it. This stinks for jhalfs and scripters in
> general, but you have to remember what the intended audience is.

I agree.

> I'm
> OK with putting this in, but the other editors need to agree, and I'm
> not sure about the chances of that happening.

I've just completed Xorg-7.1 for the first time myself.  It is not easy.
 It may be the most difficult application in the book.  My approach was
to unpack each package that had a patch, apply the patch, and then
recreate the package suck as the following pseudo script:

tar -xf $package
cd $package_root
patch -Np1 -i ../$package_patch
cd ..
mv $package $package.orig
tar -jcf $package $package_root

I then ran a script that was similar to the one in the intro on the
section.  This worked for several sections, but not for things like
drivers and Xserver.

That said, painful as it is, I'm not in favor of inserting a fairly
complex script into each section of Xorg-7.1.  Perhaps suggested scripts
could be placed in the wiki to help this issue.