Hi all,

In the Trac ticket for the Python-2.5 update, Matt claims to get
testsuite failures, however, the tests in my installation were perfect.

Best I can tell, most of the major players in the Open Source world,
have made updates to support Python-2.5. We've got to decide how to
go forward when major packages (packages which are dependencies of
many packages in the book) release a version with known API changes.

This early in a release cycle (stable BLFS version released very
recently), I'm ready to update the book, which would encourage
builders to use the new version, and perhaps report breakages.

I'm reluctant to try to build the whole book before updating, as it
may be that time constraints prohibit "getting around to it" later.

This not only affects Python, but there have been others in the
past (Berkeley DB), and current packages (FreeType) that have/will
introduce(d) incompatible changes to the book.

I suppose each package will need to be evaluated and updated as it
is deemed to be safe. Are we ready to update Python?

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
08:05:00 up 37 days, 8:19, 1 user, load average: 0.11, 0.14, 0.06