Robert Connolly wrote:
> In fairness, we should also consider the advantages of static libraries.
>
> They perform better, especially on x86. This is the primary advantage.
>
> Unneeded functions are stripped from the program, making the program smaller
> and use less memory. The exception to this is when you have two programs
> using the same library function at the same time, because in this case shared
> memory, and shared libraries, can be taken advantage of.
>
> So, from what I can see, static libraries are only ideal when it's a private
> library only used by one program, with some exceptions.
>
> Shadow's libshadow is only used by the Shadow utilities. No other package
> links to it. We almost never run two of Shadow's utilities at the same time,
> so despite multiple programs using the same library functions, in the case
> with Shadow, there is virtually no advantage in using a shared libshadow
> library.

In some cases, an application can be very sensitive to a specific library and
you would not want to change the underlying library without changing the
application.  In that case, a static library will prevent a broken program.

I believe ssh linking to a static libssl.a is preferred to libssl.so.0.

Of course that means rebuilding openssh every time openssl is updated.