On Sunday February 15 2009 04:02:41 pm Ken Moffat wrote:
> > I also
> > build with:
> > --fatal-warnings --warn-shared-textrel
> >
> > in gcc's specs, which causes non-pic shared libraries to fail to compile,
> > and also causes mktemp() and tmpnam() to cause build failures. Most of
> > the time these have patches, from bsd projects.
> >
> > I move libc.a, and all other possible .a files, to /usr/lib/static. This
> > causes ./configure tests for 'gcc -static' to fail, which is fine with
> > me.
>
>  I'm not sure I understand this part.  Do you prevent everything
> from using these static libs, or are some exceptions allowed ?

I don't know of any needed exceptions. Everything, even OpenOffice and all her
dependencies, don't need static libraries in /lib, except for libc_nonshared
and pthreads_nonshared (I haven't checked these out yet, but they could
possibly be removed too... their functions may be in libc.so, and gcc needs
to be configured not to link to them).

A handfull of packages, like module-init-tools, need modification. As far as I
can see, we do not need a static version of insmod, and I don't know why it
exists. Perhaps upstream would humor a patch to make it a ./configure option,
like e2fsprogs does (or did). A few packages also link to "/usr/lib/libz.a",
because they don't expect libz.so to exist in /lib... during boot.

>  A homepage might be a good idea.  At the moment, I have a suspicion
> that many of the people here are humouring me by letting me add the
> --disable-static or --enable-static=no (the latest variant, for
> libical which is not in the book but now required by kdepimlibs),
> but they think it isn't important (IOW, my feelings about the
> documentation most packages ship!).

The homepage could have something like the wiki, or a tree of affected
packages, and their modifications to have them only link to and install
shared libraries. A wiki of a tree would be the easiest to maintain, so
anyone who cares can maintain it. This isn't practical in lfs/blfs's wiki,
because users would have to follow every wiki link to check for shared lib
notes. This project would also be fairly distribution independent. A patch to
the books is another idea, but hardest to maintain.

robert