Ken Moffat wrote:
>  I'll be honest - TeX isn't something I use, but several of the
> packages I'm about to update use it.

Ken,
   I don't have TeX on my system and I haven't used it in several years,
but I think you don't know what it is.  It is a typesetting written by
Donald Knuth first released in 1978.  I used to use it fairly
extensively.  Almost every mathematical formula formatting system is
based on it.

   I have written several programs that create output in TeX.  It does a
very nice job.  It can also create typeface glyphs with MetaFont.

The implementation of TeX used to be teTeX.  It is now TeX Live.  Since
I don't have a need for TeX any more, I haven't built it.  I'm not
opposed to removing it from BLFS if it is such a pain to build, but I
don't see where it would be a vulnerability.

Looking at http://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html and
http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/source/README, I'd recommend
building with:

   --disable-xindy --disable-xetex --disable-xdvipdfmx --without-x

I don't see a need for those.