On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 11:18:07AM -0500, David Jensen wrote:

> As I grok Ken's post, he doesn't understand the patches to the old Tex
> or the build/install of the new Tex-Live, hence he does not want to be
> 'on the spot' for the package.  I agree, this needs someone who really
> wants to dig into it.

 I haven't looked at the detail in the ticket for Tex Live, but it's
been sitting there for some time with no sign of editor activity
after Randy's initial sterling work on it.

 So, I'm looking at teTeX as a short-term fix, and yes, I don't
understand the patches.  Perhaps it will help if I point people to
http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/packages/tetex/

 I'm using the getline patch, some of the others like the grep patch
might be helpful in non-English locales, but then there is the
libpng patch.  That's the one that really bugged me, but now I look at
it in detail I think it is just a build fix for newer libpng : like
the BOOK, I'm still on the libpng-1.2 series, but PLD are on 1.4.  The
info patch baffles me, as do the texmfvar and trie_size_max patches,
but I assume they are just tuning how it works.

 I guess I *am* happy to update it as a temporary measure.  If I
feel nice, I might even list the programs (partly because there are
differences in the minimal install from what the default TeX Live
binary created, e.g. texi2html is present but htlatex isn't.

ĸen