Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> On 10/07/11 01:16, DJ Lucas wrote:
> ...snip...

> I totally agree in dropping /opt, there is just to much overhead in
> maintaining two sets of instructions.

For an LFS user who wants to experiment, being able to install to /opt
is important.  When experimenting, we want to give the user a chance to
build without trashing the old system.  It gives the option of backing up.

For a user who is building only once, it probably doesn't make any
difference, but I think this is one of the more important services that
BLFS offers.

I use it for qt, kde, fop, and ant.  I don't generally build gnome, but
I did, I would want to put it into /opt.

> I too use a multilib system due to a work requirement of having to use
> Citrix ICACLient. What I've done was to build LFS + BLFS as 64 bit, then
> on another machine built LFS + BLFS as 32 bit, then copy all the
> necessary 32bit libraries over to the 64 bit machine. All the 32 bit
> stuff(lib + bin) I've managed to contain under /opt/32bit. I only have 2
> sym-links pointing from /lib (ld.so and ld-linux.so). The reason I did
> it this way is that I didn't want to contaminate my pure 64 bit environment.

Seems reasonable to me.

>> Agreed on all points above. What did you have in mind for LSB? A page of
>> links to other sections in the books? As it is now, LFS has about 75%,
>> maybe 80% coverage of Core.

> Either way, having links, or just moving the relevant BLFS packages into
> this new section. I think the LSB section should only cover what is not
> in LFS.

We already have
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/prologue/standards.html

What more do you want in BLFS?  I'm working on the LSB init scripts now
(mostly from DJ) and will integrate them into LFS.  That leaves, at,
batch, and xdg_utils (LFS needs to be updated: coreutils supplies the
test command).  Those would be easy enough to add to BLFS.  The at and
batch commands are not really needed.  I haven't seen them used in over
10 years.

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/at/at_3.1.12.orig.tar.gz
http://portland.freedesktop.org/download/xdg-utils-1.0.2.tgz