Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:

> It is interesting that it is sufficient to have a single /usr
> instructions for GTK2, but not for QT3/4. After all they are both
> graphical toolkits are they not? What makes them different?

Qt is *much* larger.  Qt is far more than a graphical toolkit.  It can
be used for non-gui applications, db access, etc, etc.  It is cross
platform (Win, Mac, Linux, embedded, etc ).  It rivals MS MFC, except it
does more and does it better.

libQt3Support.so
libQtCLucene.so
libQtCore.so
libQtDBus.so
libQtDeclarative.so
libQtDesigner.so
libQtDesignerComponents.so
libQtGui.so
libQtHelp.so
libQtMultimedia.so
libQtNetwork.so
libQtOpenGL.so
libQtScript.so
libQtScriptTools.so
libQtSql.so
libQtSvg.so
libQtTest.so
libQtWebKit.so
libQtXml.so
libQtXmlPatterns.so
libqca.so

There are also a reasonably large set of applications associated with Qt:

assistant designer lconvert linguist
lrelease lupdate moc pixeltool qcollectiongenerator qdbus qdbuscpp2xml
qdbusviewer qdbusxml2cpp qdoc3 qhelpconverter qhelpgenerator
qmake qmlviewer qt3to4 qtconfig qtdemo qttracereplay rcc uic uic3
xmlpatterns xmlpatternsvalidator

Note that I have been a developer using Qt for about 4 years.  The most
important thing was it's cross platform capabilities.  Having more than
one version of Qt on my system is very important when upgrading.

> Going back to Gnome, I further purpose that we get rid of the version
> directory under /etc/gnome. I wouldn't even mind if /etc/gnome was
> replaced with just /etc. I don't see how it is possible having two
> versions on Gnome working on a single system. Does any other
> distribution have a /etc/gnome directory structure?

I can't really address this well because I don't build/use gnome.