On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:34:33AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I think the impetus for this discussion is really "How do we issue a
> release version of BLFS with limited editor resources?"  I don't think
> anyone proposed removing X or KDE or Gnome completely.
>
> Splitting up into multiple books is a reasonable proposal.  There may be
> a way to create multiple books that pick and choose what would be
> included.  The only real problem with that is fixing the xref statements
> to  other parts of the book not in the subset being considered.
>
> My thought of splitting the book is those things that need X and those
> that don't.  For instance jpeg and png, while providing for the
> manipulation of images, do not need X.  The tricky packages are things
> like ImageMagick that can be built without X, but uses it if present.

 After reading today's postings, I'm not against splitting the book,
I just don't see what help it will really provide.  There is the
shorter-term issue of getting *a* release (either minimal or fuller),
and then there is what happens later.  I'm assuming the idea is to
update separate books at different times - what happens when the
version needed by one of the books conflicts with the version in
the 'common' book, but the alternative version breaks soemthing else
in the common book ?

 I think ripping out the things that nobody cares about has to be
the best way to start.

ĸen