On 12/20/2011 3:10 AM, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> As in my version of the book, (Option 5) I opted to have a
> $GNOME_SYSCONFDIR variable rather than a semi hard coded path. That way,
> the user can decide what path they choose to use, just like with
> $GNOME_PREFIX.

I also think this is good. All that really matters is that *all*
gnome-related sysconf data is under one subdir of /etc. I don't
have access to my Gnome desktop right now but if I recall correctly,
using /etc/gnome as sysconfdir would result in something like

/etc
   /gnome
     /gconf
     /mimedata
     /menudata
     /otherdirs
   files directly under /etc/gnome as well

Note that the names I used are just guesses and are not probably
correctly named. I do know that using /etc alone would not result
in all files in a single subdir under /etc. That is why it has
always been /etc/gnome. The /etc/gnome/version was simply a way
to manage multiple gnome installations.

--
Randy