On 04/13/2012 10:30 PM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> I have upgraded Xorg in five generation LFS machines.
>
> The sequence and instrucions are the same as in the book, only many versions
> change:
>
> util-macros-1.17.0
> xorg-proto
> makedepend-1.0.4
> libXau-1.0.7
> libXdmcp-1.1.1
> libpthread-stubs-0.3
> xcb-proto-1.7
> libxcb-1.8.1
> xorg-lib
> xcb-util-0.3.8
> MesaLib-8.0.2
> xorg-app
> xcursor-themes-1.0.3
> xorg-font
> xkeyboard-config-2.5.1
> xorg-server-1.12.0.902
> xorg-driver
> xterm-278
>
> Many packages in the wget lists are from march/2012.
>
> All went well, but for the drivers, I had some that could not be built and I
> did not try to fix them to build, leaving for running X as the final test if
> I needed them or not. The failed build drivers:
>
> $ grep error sshfs/blfs/xc-10.08.2011/driver-7.6-famo.wget
> #xf86-video-apm-1.2.3.tar.bz2 # error
> #xf86-video-rendition-4.2.4.tar.bz2 # error
> #xf86-video-s3virge-1.10.4.tar.bz2 # error
> #xf86-video-sisusb-0.9.4.tar.bz2 # error
> #xf86-video-tseng-1.2.4.tar.bz2 # error
> #xf86-video-xgi-1.6.0.tar.bz2 # error
>
> Attached, the wget lists.

Xorg is a fairly easy update. If you really want to do an internal
version bump to 7.6-3, go ahead. I'm not sure about xorg-server-1.12.1
(haven't looked at it), but if x.org is preparing for a distribution
version bump anyway, I'd personally just let it hang for a couple of
weeks. Issues like the drivers above, and new libx11 will be fixed by
the time a distribution release is made.

-- DJ Lucas