On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:37:14 +0100
Tobias Gasser <l...@ebp-gasser.ch> wrote:

> i think my aproach is more flexible as i can add multiple translations
> (i'm used to use german + french as these 2 are used here in CH near
> basel), and give the user the choice.

I also prefer the xpi method as the method for compiling with a
different locale seems to change a lot and often breaks. As I
understand it the locale files are just text/data with nothing compiled
from source code so it seems sensible to use xpis.

> what i am missing with firefox and thunderbird is automatic detection
> which language should be used. most other packages chose the language by
> $LANG (de_CH.UTF-8 or fr_CH.UTF-8), $LANGUAGE (de or fr) or $LC_ALL
> (same as $LANG). the mozilla products require the
> 'general.useragent.locale' to be set and the language-plugin to be
> activated.

I find Thunderbird uses the correct dictionary if I set the environment
variable LC_TIME. EG:
export LC_TIME=en_GB.utf8

Andy