On 05/14/2013 12:03:37 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
>
> > I'd link to the actual post under
> > http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-dev with my
> > suggestions of obvious cleavage lines to break BLFS into separate
> > books, but the mailing list archive is 404.
>
> Try searching
> http://www.mail-archive.com/blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org/

That archive doesn't go back far enough. (January 2012.) And
archive.org hasn't recorded the actual archive since 2007...

Ah, here we go:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.lfs.beyond.devel/20066

In which I said:

> Suggestions are welcome. Volunteers are required. LFS is skating by
> with
> only two people contributing. BLFS needs much more support than that.

I've used BLFS to build basic X11 support, and I've used it to build a
few servers.  I cherry picked because building the whole thing is
ridiculous.

Possibly it's time to split the thing into smaller chunks?  The layers I
see are (roughly):

1) Infrastructure (chapters 3, 5-8, 10-12).
2) Networking (chapters 4, 13-22)
3) Multimedia (chapters 9, 23-25, 31-44)

And then separate appendices on KDE and Gnome and XFCE and such.

What I'm looking at is "what might people want to skip?"  A headless box
may not need any of the multimedia stuff.  A DVD player may not need any
of the networking stuff.  (It's likely that #2 and #3 are going to need
things out of #1, but they need stuff out of the base LFS too,
prerequisites are inevitable you just try to keep them under control.)

Rob