I've been looking at ConsoleKit because it is giving me problems.  I
don't use pam, so I built with:

./configure --prefix=/usr        \
             --sysconfdir=/etc    \
             --localstatedir=/var \
             --libexecdir=/usr/lib/ConsoleKit \
             --enable-udev-acl

We have a statement in the book:

See /usr/share/doc/ConsoleKit/spec/ConsoleKit.html for more configuration.

That file is not built or installed unless the option
--enable-docbook-docs is used in the configure.  Also, this appears to
be API documentation and does not seem to help with configuration.

In any case, I'm having a problem with xfce startup.  I'm using a simple
startxfce4 command, but after the screen starts, there is a delay with
the power manager for about 20 seconds.  I don't really need the power
manager because there is no battery.  It's a wired only system.

In any case, thee is a log entry:

Aug  7 14:22:12 blfs dbus[1527]: [system] Successfully activated service
'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1'
Aug  7 14:22:12 blfs dbus[1527]: [system] Activating service
name='org.freedesktop.UPower' (using servicehelper)
Aug  7 14:22:12 blfs dbus[1527]: [system] Successfully activated service
'org.freedesktop.UPower'
Aug  7 14:22:13 blfs dbus[1527]: [system] Activating service
name='org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit' (using servicehelper)
Aug  7 14:22:38 blfs dbus[1527]: [system] Failed to activate service
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit': timed out

Looking at /etc/dbus-1/system.d/ConsoleKit.conf, I see:

<!-- Only root can own the service -->
   <policy user="root">
     <allow own="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit"/>

     <!-- Allow all methods on interfaces -->
     <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit"/>
   </policy>

but org.freedesktop.UPower.conf says the same thing about UPower.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to avoid the ConsoleKit dbus timeout?