Hi all,

In the process of updating apr and apr-util, I did a thorough test of
subversion. I have found a few inaccuracies there:
- the test time is much longer than indicated (38 SBU). BTW, there is only one
error.
- Python is listed in the optional deps for running the tests. Maybe we could
add that it needs to be compiled with sqlite support, otherwise almost all the
tests fail.
- there is a switch for configure, which works only if apache is installed,
while apache is just an optional dep:
--with-apache-libexecdir=$(/usr/bin/apxs -q libexecdir)
apxs pertains to the apache package. That does not break the
build, though, but it sends a warning:
"/usr/bin/apxs: no such file or directory".

Digging into configure, it seems that passing just --with-apache-libexecdir
would have the same effect if apxs is installed, and no effect if apxs is not
isntalled (as now).

How should I proceed: raise a ticket and modify the book?
Let Fernando do it himself?
----
As a related issue, swig should be put in the book. It is CMMI, but with non
trivial dependency (PCRE is required, and boost is optional, for the tests).
And the subversion instructions use it.

Actually, the subversion instructions suppose that python, ruby, openjdk,
junit and swig are installed.

Among those, I would put swig and python into recommended.

The reason for the first one is the following: it allows to build the perl
bindings, which are mandatory for installing git-svn (as part of git
installation). Git-svn is very useful for mixing subversion and git
repositories.

The reason for the second one is that it is heavily used in the tests.

regards
Pierre