> Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 14:33:11 -0600
> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>
> To: akhiezer <lf...@cruziero.com>,
>         BLFS Development List <blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-dev] ppp/pppoe [was: create-service-dir in
>       blfs-boo(t)scripts]
>
> akhiezer wrote:
> >> Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 11:40:27 -0600
> >> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>
> >> To: BLFS Development List <blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org>
> >> Subject: Re: [blfs-dev] ppp/pppoe [was: create-service-dir in
> >>    blfs-boo(t)scripts]

> > Thomas:
> > Well, sometimes folks look at decisions made in b/lfs, and decide that
> > discretion ..., etc: and just continue with - and carry forward - their
> > own builds/scripts/notes, rather than tilt at windmills or try to push
> > water uphill.

> > So is ifconfig, and you seem to want to make some effort to retain that.

> >> Probably something like this:
> >>
> >> http://cmcnet.en.made-in-china.com/product/GoUJMYWFfyVd/China-Thomson-Speedtouch-ST585-V6-54mpbs-4-Port-Wireless-ADSL2-Modem.html
> >>
> >> Most people who have a computer should be able to afford $18 US.
> >>

> > I think that that _totally_ misses the point. Much DSL provision uses
> > pppoe/pppoa. If you don't want to use a black-box router, then you'll likely
> > want/need to use pppoe/pppoe atop ppp, directly.

s|/pppoe |/pppoa |

> Why does it miss the point?  If you want to have a computer, you buy a
> system with a cpu, ram, etc.  If you want to have an internet
> connection, you buy what is needed, whether is is an acoustic modem, dsl
> router, or whatever.

But again, Bruce, you seem to be just making remarks peripheral to the issue
here: it's absolutely a valid and reasonably common usage case whereby a
dsl/&c modem is hooked to an ethernet card in a linux computer that is acting
as (perhaps inter alia) a router; not least thus cutting down on 'black-box'
items in the network.

Are you really saying that any common functionality that is in a consumer-
level off-the-shelf router, should not be implemented in a b/lfs built
machine - e.g. firewall.

rgds,
akhiezer