In the current instructions for Tex Live, we have --without-luatex.

 This is wrong, the current option is --disable-luatex.  But I have
a question: someone must have thought it was a good idea to disable
luatex.  Why ?

 The binary installer includes luatex, and it appears to build fine
from source.  As with latex, some very simple examples I found work,
others don't, but running lualatex on a "good" minimal example
provides a displayable PDF.

 I was originally going to move the corrected  --disable-luatex to
an optional command, but at the moment I cannot see any reason why a
user who is going to the trouble of building TeX from source would
want to do that.

 Anybody like to offer a reason ?

 Attaching the simple example (from StackExchange), and the PDF, in
case anyone wants an example.

ĸen