Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 08:44:17PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>>    In the current instructions for Tex Live, we have --without-luatex.
>>>
>>>    This is wrong, the current option is --disable-luatex.  But I have
>>> a question: someone must have thought it was a good idea to disable
>>> luatex.  Why ?
>>>

>>>    Anybody like to offer a reason ?
>>
>> At the time that was added, lua was not in the book.
>>

>   Thanks to you and Armin for that information.  Interestingly,
> luatex cannot be made to use a system lua, but it ships with its own
> version, currently 5.2.

I don't think it did that when TeX Live was first placed in the book.

Actually, I like TeX and have done some interesting things with it, but
I don't like TeX Live.  It seems to be quite bloated to me with a lot of
things many users will never use.  It's way overkill if you just want to
do TeX -> dvi and maybe dvips.