I've been working to get KDE up to speed for 7.7 and have finally
finished the core modules.  I did have a problem at first when I was
testing. I want to document the issues.

My video is NVIDIA Corporation NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series].

When I configure the kernel, it wants to use the nouveau kernel driver.
When the system starts up, it was going into framebuffer mode, but it
was giving me problems.  The cursor was disappearing often.  For
instance going into vim and exiting caused it to disappear every time.
Executing a terminal reset (echo -e \\033c) brought it back, but only
until something else ran.

When entering X, twm was OK, but KDE was giving a lot of weird hashed
colors and the startup hung.

What I found was that adding nomodeset to the kernel command line fixed
both the text mode problem and KDE, but KDE performance is poor.

My kernel configuration has

CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y
CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG=5
CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG_DEFAULT=3
CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU_BACKLIGHT=y

In KDE, the resolution is 1024x768 even though the monitor is 1366x768.
  It looks like NOUVEAU is completely disabled:

[  1117.328] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[  1117.328] (--) using VT number 8
[  1117.338] (EE) [drm] KMS not enabled

Reenabling modeset on the kernel line allows twm to come up and the
nouveau driver appears to give normal results in twm.

I don't particularly want to disable Nvidia/Nouveau
support, but I suppose I could and use the proprietary drivers.  I don't
recall the problem in earlier kernels, but I'm not sure.

If anyone has any ideas about the apparent interference between the
nouveau drivers and KDE, please let me know.