Armin K. wrote:
> On 02/28/2014 06:59 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I've been working to get KDE up to speed for 7.7 and have finally
>> finished the core modules.  I did have a problem at first when I was
>> testing. I want to document the issues.
>>
>> My video is NVIDIA Corporation NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series].
>>
>> When I configure the kernel, it wants to use the nouveau kernel driver.
>> When the system starts up, it was going into framebuffer mode, but it
>> was giving me problems.  The cursor was disappearing often.  For
>> instance going into vim and exiting caused it to disappear every time.
>> Executing a terminal reset (echo -e \\033c) brought it back, but only
>> until something else ran.
>>
>> When entering X, twm was OK, but KDE was giving a lot of weird hashed
>> colors and the startup hung.
>>
>> What I found was that adding nomodeset to the kernel command line fixed
>> both the text mode problem and KDE, but KDE performance is poor.
>>
>> My kernel configuration has
>>
>> CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y
>> CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG=5
>> CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG_DEFAULT=3
>> CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU_BACKLIGHT=y
>>
>> In KDE, the resolution is 1024x768 even though the monitor is 1366x768.
>>    It looks like NOUVEAU is completely disabled:
>>
>> [  1117.328] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
>> [  1117.328] (--) using VT number 8
>> [  1117.338] (EE) [drm] KMS not enabled
>>
>> Reenabling modeset on the kernel line allows twm to come up and the
>> nouveau driver appears to give normal results in twm.
>>
>> I don't particularly want to disable Nvidia/Nouveau
>> support, but I suppose I could and use the proprietary drivers.  I don't
>> recall the problem in earlier kernels, but I'm not sure.
>>
>> If anyone has any ideas about the apparent interference between the
>> nouveau drivers and KDE, please let me know.
>>
>>     -- Bruce
>>

> Lot of people got nouveau working (for some values of working) for such
> basic tasks. The driver is far from complete though.
>
> My suggestion is to report a bug and see what it can be done. Disabling
> modeset basically disables nouveau entirely and vesa drivers are used,
> which isn't a good idea for KDE since it enables lots of fancy stuff
> that requires some 3D.
>
> You could try to combine xf86-video-modesetting and llvmpipe (swrast)
> drivers and see if it works for you.

Thanks.  After I sent the original message, I was trying different
things and after a couple of reboots it now seems to work.  I don't
think I changed anything though.  Perhaps the reboot just cleared things
up with the other drivers.

I still have the problem with losing the cursor in the console, so I may
report that.