On 2/25/19 9:54 AM, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-dev wrote:

On 2/25/19 8:14 AM, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
Resending due to mail issue...

We are now in the final phase of finishing the 8.4 release.  We are well ahead of schedule for a Friday release.

What we have left is two tickets, libreoffice and a systemd patch (applicable to LFS also).  Doug will commit those changes as soon as his ISP fixes his connectivity.  There are also three xorg drivers to tag and Doug tells me he will do those also.

I would like to get everyone to review the books as they use them in order to pick up little things we can fix before release.

We also may want to review the current 8.5 tickets to see if we want to promote anything to 8.4.

For BLFS, ticket #11712 IO-Socket-SSL-2.061 (Perl Module) appears to have fixed the test hang. If we update that, we might also want to update #11695 Test-Differences-0.65.

We also might want to update bind, mariadb, and NetworkManager since they all have CVE fixes.

On the LFS side, we might want to update the kernel to 4.20.12, but that isn't essential.   We do say in Chapter 3 "The latest available 4.20.x kernel version should be used, unless the errata page says otherwise."

Anything else?

I'd say backport the following:

bind
mariadb
NetworkManager

unrar (Don't know if it's related to the WinRAR issue recently that gained attention, because they do have the same developers and the new version of unrar shipped the same day as the fix for WinRAR did)

(LFS) libelf - security fixes
(LFS) file - security fixes

I'll through those two into a test build and check it out. I would not expect a problem.

That IO-Socket-SSL module wouldn't be bad if it fixes the test hang, it would simplify things.

As for X drivers, I'll return to those later on today. I'm going to take a break for most of the day. I've thrown myself really hard at this over the past two weeks and need it. In terms of my connectivity, I've got to be careful over the next week. Just got a popup saying that we've used 90% of our cap for the billing cycle (900GB / 1TB). No idea who used it all, but a bunch of rust/libreoffice installs will result in a swift death as it shuts off at that point unless I start paying $50 / additional 10 GB.

Ouch.  You need to shut down youtube and netflix fro a couple of days.

  -- Bruce