On 03/09/2019 20:21, DJ Lucas via blfs-dev wrote:
> On September 3, 2019 11:45:06 AM CDT, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev
> <blfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>> On 02/09/2019 23:05, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm coming back to "how to fix gdm". What we have now is a hack, that
>> allows
>>> setting the keyboard layout for gdm at compile time, but prevents
>> being able
>>> to set it and other properties of gdm in gnome-control-center (no
>> "login
>>> screen" button).
>>>
>>> Gnome-shell, gnome-control-center, and gnome-setting-daemons insist
>> on having
>>> the localed daemon to do the job, so it might be a better idea to
>> install it.
>>>
>>> localed is a small daemon, and there is not much to add (to port from
>> the
>>> systemd source, exactly) to elogind to have this daemon on our
>> system.
>>

>> I've made a patch and uploaded it to
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~pierre/elogind-241.3-add_localed-2.patch
>>
>> Apply it to elogind-241.3. Build elogind with instructions as in the
>> book.
>>
>> Then (re)build gnome-shell without the "sed", and gdm without the
>> "cat",
>> otherwise as per the book instructions.
>>
>> You may have to ensure that dbus is running (it was on my machine),
>> then issue:
>> localectl set-x11-keymap fr
>> (this will create or amend /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf)
>>
>> Obviously, you have to change the "fr" part to something else for
>> another
>> keyboard layout, (for example gb or de)
>>
>> then restart in runlevel 5:
>> - the keyboard in gdm is "fr"
>> - there is a "login screen" in gnome settings "region and language",
>> and it
>> can be clicked (it asks then for "root" password), and you can change
>> the
>> login screen settings (not only the keyboard).
>>
>> The patch is not finished yet, because it does not install the man
>> pages for
>> localectl and localed. But the executables seem to be ok.
>>
>> I wonder whether this should be sent to upstream elogind, or made as an
>> independent project.
>>
>> Actually, I wonder whether it couldn't be good to group eudev, elogind,
>> and
>> localed into one package (datetimed could be useful too). But I do not
>> know of
>> a proper place to discuss that... I may start at elogind.
>>

> Nice! That would be the right people to bring it to. Realistically, I'd like
> to see systemd folks take it all back and see build of individual components
> in the original tree, but suppose that's a dream for now. Honestly, I don't
> know that anybody has approached them with it.

Actually, this is very easy to break systemd into individual components if you
accept to have a systemd daemon as PID 1. There are a lot of places where this
daemon is accessed through dbus (I had to remove a couple of such calls in
localed, and elogind has to do much more to get rid of them, because just
removing them removes too much functionality). So I think any request to have
standalone daemons is doomed to failure...

BTW, I haven't asked explicitly, but would it be possible that somebody else
test this patch?

Pierre