On 9/3/2019 2:58 PM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
On 03/09/2019 20:21, DJ Lucas via blfs-dev wrote:
Actually, this is very easy to break systemd into individual components if you
accept to have a systemd daemon as PID 1.
I don't. I consider this _the_ design flaw in systemd. I actually like most of the individual components. I even have grown to like the journal which I am now forced to do without. Maybe there was a its inception, but I can't (today) see a technical reason for the current library grouping - at least not one that is inseparable as evidenced by how clean it has been to separate the needed components in eudev and elogind, and now localed - note that I did not say _easy_, but it really should've been, had it been a design goal of the project from the beginning (as was stated over and over again). There would be no purpose for eudev and elogind and it might have stopped some of the complaints in the beginning (and even a majority that linger today).
There are a lot of places where this
daemon is accessed through dbus (I had to remove a couple of such calls in
localed, and elogind has to do much more to get rid of them, because just
removing them removes too much functionality). So I think any request to have
standalone daemons is doomed to failure...
Anyway, on first glance, it looks great. I've done enough fresh raspbian to pretend it is UK without getting too lost. :-) I'd be a bit happier if somebody who actually needs this would be able to test as well, however. If not, I'll get a different keyboard.

BTW, I haven't asked explicitly, but would it be possible that somebody else
test this patch?

I do think it should be split it into it's own package, or at least, make it build standalone. IOW, get the needed libsystemd parts imported back into libelogind and change from local includes to system includes (can just ifdef the includes to avoid extending meson), but we should try to avoid another reciprocal dependency if possible. May be a bit of work, I can do that part if you like, but it should be doable.

--DJ