On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 11:21 AM Douglas R. Reno <renodr2...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 3:08 AM Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev <
> blfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
>> Le 14/03/2020 à 06:25, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-dev a écrit :
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > Have any of you experienced X crashing with a SIGABRT anytime a program
>> using
>> > gstreamer attempts to run? I've been stuck on this all day while
>> rebuilding my
>> > workstation.
>> >
>> > I originally noticed this while building Cheese. I normally use that to
>> test
>> > my Webcam. When running the meson command, X would crash with a SIGABRT.
>> > Examining the meson.log file, it seems to crash running:
>> >
>> > "gst-inspect-1.0 camerabin"
>> >
>> > It's worth noting that if I run this at a VT, I have no issues at all.
>> If I
>> > run this or any gst-* program in a terminal, Xorg SIGABRTs. I've spent
>> about
>> > four hours so far scouring through upstream and I can't figure anything
>> out.
>> > Switching my phonon backend in Plasma to gstreamer from VLC also causes
>> it to
>> > crash (I've also tried this in LXDE and Fluxbox).
>> >
>> > Launching Cheese results in a SIGABRT as well. I've attempted to use
>> GDB to
>> > latch onto Xorg, but I haven't been able to get it to give me a stack
>> trace.
>> >
>> > Can someone else please look into this or try to reproduce this? I'm
>> not sure
>> > what else to do from here.
>> >

>> Not sure it has anything to do with this, but there is this:
>>

>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/65827?string=gst-plugins-good&project=1&search_name=&type%5B0%5D=&sev%5B0%5D=&pri%5B0%5D=&due%5B0%5D=&reported%5B0%5D=&cat%5B0%5D=&status%5B0%5D=open&percent%5B0%5D=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&changedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedfrom=&closedto=
>>
>> Pierre
>>

> Thanks for the link! It looks to be a report of the souphttpsrc test suite
> failure that we have documented in the book. I never understood why only 1
> out of 15 tests in the souphttpsrc suite failed either

Alright folks, I seem to have figured it out. Now to rebuild packages back
to where I had them before experimenting, since I tried a different version
of Mesa and glib while going down the rabbit hole...

The underlying cause of the problem is the Nouveau graphics driver. Nouveau
does not support the NVIDIA GeForce GT1030 that I had in this system. I do
not know what other cards are affected by this, but I suspect that anything
from the 900-series onwards has a problem with Nouveau. I could have
installed the NVIDIA proprietary driver (assuming that I have all of the
dependencies - and I think it needs CUDA, so I definitely don't if that's
the case). I figured this out after doing a 'dmesg' and then checking
glxinfo to find out that the NVIDIA card was using a generic framebuffer
and was using software acceleration in X. However, running Cheese and
gst-inspect-1.0 ran just fine in Weston (which I built just to experiment).

I lost patience and put the GT 630 that I had in my previous workstation
into this one. It's a rather nasty decrease in graphics capabilities (two
versions of OpenGL), but it will suffice until I can replace this card with
an AMD of some kind. It's not worth the hassle of fiddling with proprietary
drivers.

- Doug