On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 06:01:49PM +0800, Xi Ruoyao via blfs-dev wrote:

> > Hi Bruce,
> >
> > I've now confirmed that with firefox-78.2.0esr the initial configury
> > fails in the same way if clang is not available.  That is, of
> > course, on a build using CC=gcc CXX=g++.
>
> But js78 builds successfully without clang.  (I moved libclang.so and clang
> executables away.)

Sure.  Not everything which uses llvm uses clang.  The point is
that we normally have clang available so we don't find out where
clang is definitely required.

> I'm still not sure about llvm-profdata and llvm-objdump.

I assume that when the next llvm is released it will not be possible
to  build any released version of rustc using system llvm (and
probably remain that way for at least month or two).  If that
assumption is true, a build with those programs removed will prove
or disprove it.

ĸen
--
I could not live without Champagne.  In victory I deserve it, in
defeat I need it.  -- Churchill