On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 10:07:29AM +0100, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
> Presently, in the book, we have two pages for the Qt library: one for
> full Qt, except we do not build qtwebengine, and another one for
> qtwebengine. This has a couple of drawbacks:
> - If a package needs only Qt core libraries, we require to build the
> whole Qt library. Building qtbase is just a couple of SBU, compared to
> the 22 SBU of the full Qt. Even KDE frameworks need just a handful of
> additional modules (which add not more than one SBU each, and several
> of them are much faster), and not the full qt. Also, building a full Qt
> for LXQt (which is supposed to be lightweight) is a big overkill...
> - when downloading the full Qt, qtwebengine is inside it. Then, when
> building qtwebengine, it is downloaded again. Since qtwebengine size is
> 247 MB, this is not insignificant...
>
> The proposition is the following:
> Two pages again, with:
> - first page for qtbase (~50 MB download, a couple of SBUs at -j4):
> this is where configure is run. Also the page would have /opt and
> startup file settings (as on the present Qt page), and .desktop file
> installation.
> - a second page with a layout similar to Xorg libs, KDE frameworks, and
> plasma, except the list of files would be divided into (tentative)
> "needed for LXQt", "needed in addition for KDE", "qtwebengine", and
> "optional not needed for the book", so that users would have
> information to build (and download) only what they need. The
> instructions for each module would be: qmake -- <options>; make; make
> install. But in most cases -- <options> would not be needed.
>
> Maintenance would not be much harder (maybe a couple more measurements,
> but upstream provides a md5sum file).
>
> Pierre

Sounds nice, my only question is whether other qt packages in the
book need anything different.  The only one that springs to mind is
vlc (I've got one other locally, but I guess that I can look at
fedora and Arch to check, ISTR they both split out at least qtbase).

--
To say that it (his hair) was black and bound up in a ponytail is to
miss the opportunity of using the term 'elephantine'. It was hair