On 12/12/20 3:07 AM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
Presently, in the book, we have two pages for the Qt library: one for
full Qt, except we do not build qtwebengine, and another one for
qtwebengine. This has a couple of drawbacks:
- If a package needs only Qt core libraries, we require to build the
whole Qt library. Building qtbase is just a couple of SBU, compared to
the 22 SBU of the full Qt. Even KDE frameworks need just a handful of
additional modules (which add not more than one SBU each, and several
of them are much faster), and not the full qt. Also, building a full Qt
for LXQt (which is supposed to be lightweight) is a big overkill...
- when downloading the full Qt, qtwebengine is inside it. Then, when
building qtwebengine, it is downloaded again. Since qtwebengine size is
247 MB, this is not insignificant...

The proposition is the following:
Two pages again, with:
- first page for qtbase (~50 MB download, a couple of SBUs at -j4):
this is where configure is run. Also the page would have /opt and
startup file settings (as on the present Qt page), and .desktop file
installation.
- a second page with a layout similar to Xorg libs, KDE frameworks, and
plasma, except the list of files would be divided into (tentative)
"needed for LXQt", "needed in addition for KDE", "qtwebengine", and
"optional not needed for the book", so that users would have
information to build (and download) only what they need. The
instructions for each module would be: qmake -- <options>; make; make
install. But in most cases -- <options> would not be needed.

Maintenance would not be much harder (maybe a couple more measurements,
but upstream provides a md5sum file).
I do think this is a great idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing and using it when it's out of the oven!
Pierre