On 2021-04-01 10:52 +0200, Tim Tassonis via blfs-dev wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I just discovered that curl apparently now also optionally supports
> cmake as build system. Per official documentation however, ./configure
> still seems first choice, or at least as supported as cmake.
>
> As I personally don't see the benefits of cmake over autotools from a
> builders perspective (I have used neither as a developer), I suggest to
> stay on autotools for the moment.

The most stupid thing of autotools is .la files.  If they are removed (by
script, or manually) I think autotools is fine.

> However, there might be a lfs/blfs policy regarding preference for cmake
> that I am not aware of?

If the upstream has a recommendation, just follow the upstream.  Otherwise, for
autotools vs meson we usually prefer meson (unless it causes problems), since
meson is installed in LFS.  But for autotools vs cmake I'm not sure.

cmake has a recommended dependency on cURL.  So if we build cURL with cmake, the
only "rational" way is:

1. build cmake without cURL
2. build cURL with cmake
3. rebuild cmake with cURL

So I think we'll keep to use autotools for cURL (until the upstream says "don't
use it").
--
Xi Ruoyao <xry...@mengyan1223.wang>