Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Jens Olav Nygaard wrote:
>
>> Is there any standard way of doing
>> such things, some sort of "sandbox" technique that I may not be aware
>> of? Any advice greatly appreciated...
>

> I've generally had good results with '--prefix=/opt/gcc-4.0.0-20050410'.
>  BTW: You'll have to omit the fixincludes patch from your build so that
> the incompatible glibc header is correctly fixed up during the gcc build.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt.

FYI, I've built a gcc4-rc1/glibc-2.3.5 system from scratch using a
combination of LFS unstable and Greg Schafer's clever method
(www.diy-linux.com) of fixing the specfiles - although I've used the
method, I'm still in the learning curve to fully understand it.  Host
was Gentoo.

The system seems stable and works very well, so I'm in the process of
writing it up and putting the patches needed together.

The best source of gcc4 patches is here:

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/

as FC4 will have a gcc4 based toolchain.

I've also built quite a lot of BLFS on this system, including gtk+2 and
glib2, Firefox and Thunderbird - all of which needed patches.  My build
of Gnome 2.8 is only partially functional so far - I'll probably ditch
it in favour of gnome 2.10 to get better (later) sources.  I didn't try
kde or qt yet.

R.