On Monday 30 May 2005 09:02 am, Declan Moriarty wrote:

> If your mail identified as being from bellsouth.net, there would be no
> issue. That's your email address. It identifies as www.ccolton.com. FIX
> THAT! You don't have to change hostname, or domain name. Just tell your
> mail software that your box is to identify as bellsouth.net, and see if
> earthlink still accepts the mail.

My last post was intended for the list - didn't mean to send it to you
directly - sorry.

Since this post I've tried every concievable combination of hostnames and
addresses to try to satisfy SA's FORGED_RCVD_HELO test - no luck. This is a
new Spam Assasin setup with all defaults still in place. I'm too new at it to
say for sure that it's set up right, but it does score my incoming email, and
has sent some to the spam box (and let others slide :-).

Here's the relevent part of one I sent to myself:

        autolearn=unavailable version=3.0.3

I can't find a shred of documentation on how SA tests for a forged HELO, and
only a little on what HELO is and how smtp uses it. Its an aggravating little
problem that I'd like to solve.

Something that I've noticed though, is that I'm not the only one with it. SA
reports a  FORGED_RCVD_HELO on 9 out of 10 of my recently recieved emails
(including yours) - none of them spam. It seems like it might be a common
problem and maybe that's why SA's default score for it is only .1.

It seems like your SA setup scored FORGED_RCVD_HELO as 3.0. That's a huge
difference from 0.1. Is there a reason?

My apologies for any dumb assumptions stemming from ignorance about Spam
Assassin.

Regards,
Craig