Ken Moffat wrote:
 Can I just reawaken this thread to report success with what was
basically Andrew's build script

I'd rather you didn't. I was embarrassed because I didn't test it properly before I sent it. It worked with an existing profile but if I deleted my profile and did it completely from scratch it didn't work. I think the problem was that with Firefox installed in /usr/lib and owned by root a user doesn't have permissions to read the files needed to create a new profile. I could be wrong though.
without a separate build directory, was unable to build svg just like
all firefox releases) ?

SVG has only been added to the mozilla code recently, the cairo stuff isn't in
the aviary branch. I think the plan is for Firefox 1.1 to be SVG enabled.
Firefox-1.1 (deer park) is currently at alpha 2
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/deerpark/alpha2/source/