On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Ken Moffat wrote:

[snipped, just tieing to the thread]

 Turns out there is a further hiccough with the make -C
browser/installer method - if you want to use firefox as the engine of
epiphany, the pkgconfig and header files aren't there.

 The pkgconfig files assume everything is going into
/usr/local/{lib,include}/firefox-v.v.v (e.g. 1.0.6) when it actually
gets untarred in /usr/{lib,include}/firefox so we need to do

 sed -i -e 's%/usr/local%/usr%' -e "s%$firefox-1.0.6%firefox%" \
build/unix/*.pc
 install -m 0644 build/unix/*.pc /usr/lib/pkgconfig/

 The headers are even more of a mess - I started by cribbing from
gentoo:

 install -d /usr/lib/firefox/include/idl
 cp -LfR dist/include/* /usr/lib/firefox/include
 cp -LfR dist/idl/* /usr/lib/firefox/include/idl
 ln -sf /usr/lib/firefox/include /usr/include/firefox
 ln -sf /usr/lib/firefox/include/necko/nsIURI.h \
   /usr/lib/firefox/include/nsIURI.h

 (don't know if that nsIURI is relevant or not)

 Unfortunately, this leaves /usr/include/firefox/ with a mass of
subdirectories (more than would be put there by 'make install') but
almost no headers in the include directory itself.  To get epiphany to
compile, I also had to promote some of the headers into the main
directory - again, I don't know, if _all_ of these are referenced:

 ln -sf /usr/lib/firefox/include/pref/*.h /usr/lib/firefox/include
 ln -sf /usr/lib/firefox/include/find/*.h /usr/lib/firefox/include

 Obviously, galeon or anything else using gecko might need other headers
as well.

 This starts to become a bit of a PITA, and also if any upgrade does
change the ABI I guess it could cause problems for epiphany (or galeon)
accessing /usr/lib/firefox (because this method doesn't keep the
version-specific libraries around).  If it wasn't for the profile
issues, the book's method would be a lot easier.

Ken