Ken Moffat wrote:

/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.6/run-mozilla.sh: line 159:  5403 Segmentation
fault      "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
 I see your machine is called opteron - is this a 64-bit, multilib, or
32-bit system ?

I've just had the exact same symptoms, don't know if the problem was
the same as yours. (This message is written with the just compiled
thunderbird 1.0.6 on my x86_64 build.)

First, take note of the advice regarding the X-fonts, I think that was
(one of) my problem(s). I had forgotten it, got the crashes, fixed it,
and things work. Unfortunately I also did some other stuff which
may have affected things, namely doing a rebuild of firefox+thunderbird
on the new system. I have tried numerous times to build it in the
chroot-environment on the host, with little success. The first version
of firefox which seg.fault'ed was "forced through" a compile in this
chroot environment, it was probably rather buggy.

I guess my advice would be to try 1) build on the new system not in the
chroot env. of the host, and 2) check the font-stuff.

(Note, for me at least, it was not sufficient to follow the book, for
some strange reason the fonts ended up in /usr/lib64/fonts etc., not
under any usual X-location at all...)

J.O.