I have been lucky enough to have everything to do with local
characters "just work" for many a year... But now I find myself
having to look into this "locale-thing".

My emacs will display special Norwegian characters in X for older
files. But it simply ignores keypresses on the keys with these
characters imprinted on them.

I noticed that my installation has no directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale at all, but if I just copy this over from
my old host, everything seems to be back to "just working"...

However, that's good but not perfect, so I searched and found several
'locale'-directories on the new system:

/usr/local/share/locale, /usr/lib/locale and /usr/share/locale

When I list the contents:

bombadil 5>ls /usr/local/share/locale
af/  az/     bn/  cs/  el/     es/  fi/  gu/  hu/  it/  li/  and so on...
bombadil 7>ls /usr/lib/locale
C/                 ibm-cp1133/  iso8859-14/  iso8859-7/   and so on...
bombadil 12>ls /usr/share/locale
af/  ca/  de/     [EMAIL PROTECTED]/  eo/  eu/  ga/          and so on...

I see that the second one most resembles the one from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
on the host.

So, now I wonder...

1) Who installs this, and missed it in my system? X? I could not find
   any clues scanning the topmost levels of the LFS+BLFS books for the
   term "locale".
2) How can I get this right? Has some part of my system installed the
   sensible things under /usr/lib but just forgot to tell X about it?
   If so, I guess I can just fix it with a soft link.
3) What is the best source of information on this?
4) What should I set my LC_*, LANG and similar (if there more) variables
   to? I guess maybe I will have to figure that out from (3) above...

Sorry for the verboseness, but will appreciate any hints, as always...

J.O.