> Declan Moriarty wrote:
> >Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
> >>If you want something doing, do it yourself. Write a patch that
> >>fixes the problem and send it to the package maintainers.
> >
> >I think that's a poor attitude to hear on a support list.
> >
> >To people not familiar with C you have made no point at all, just
> >insulted them for their choice of career. Since when is knowledge of
> >C a requirement?
> >

> I did not mean to insult anyone. Sorry if I did. "If you want
> something doing, do it yourself." was something my mum used to say all
> the time.  In open source software almost all the work is done by
> volunteers. If something doesn't work, it's not (usually...) because
> the developers chose to be awkward. Simply moaning that Alsa mutes the
> channels by default isn't going to help. Putting something in BLFS to

No insult taken - I wish I had stuck with programming and learned C! I
came at it in the 70s when unix was taking off, and they would have been
technically interesting times. I'd be worth money now! Mind you, back
then, it was COBOL, Fortran, or assembler :-(.

Life gets in the way of a good education sometimes. So people like me
can't 'grok source' and rely on the likes of the blfs book as users of
linux.

--

        With best Regards,

        Declan Moriarty.