It is my understanding that if you use a .mozconfig file, then you
must build Mozilla using the client.mk system (this might be wrong

OK, I'll give that a try. However, I am confident that my method works, for two reasons:

1) When I run ./configure, I am presented with a list of options pulled from the .mozconfig file.

2) When I alter the .mozconfig file or give it bad options (like setting --enable-extensions=all), the build system responds (in this example, by breaking).

-Doug