Hi everyone,

I've seen some remarks on this issue, but I'm hoping that someone can help me put them all together here. It seems that using a display manager like xdm or gdm, or even just running X, overwrites important variables set for a login shell. I don't like this behavior at all, and I'm hoping to get some pointers on how to turn this off (if possible). I'll try to break this down one by one.

1. PS1 gets rewritten by xterm (or some other portion of X). This makes sense that I should have a customized PS1 in ~/.bashrc. However, if I don't, I would hope to fall back to the default in /etc/profile. At some point this get rewritten to lame prompt of bash-3.00$. Does anyone know where this setting happens? Also, do you know if it can be turned off?

2. PROMPT_COMMAND gets unset by X. I have no idea where this would happen, but it doesn't occur if I'm running an su'd login shell and start a non-login shell from there. It doesn't just get overwritten to null, either. It doesn't exist in the new environment. Any thoughts?

3. LS_COLORS gets overwritten to null. Annoying, and I don't know why it happens. Same symptoms as above.

4. PATH gets overwritten by xdm. This is extremely lame. I don't plan to use xdm ever again for this reason. Why wouldn't it just inherit the path from the login shell?

The "solution" I have is that I re-source half the profile scripts in my ~/.bashrc: tinker-term.sh, xterm-titlebars.sh and dircolors.sh. Any comments are much appreciated.

Dan