Stephen Liu wrote:

To run "lprng+hpijs" I need to install addtional packages including
devel packages.  I have no idea whether there will be any conflict on
BLFS 6.1.
I've been looking for a good place to jump into this discussion, but I've lost the thread of the thread. I can't tell whether or not you've been successful getting your printer to work.

I went through this situation with my HP PhotoSmart printer. I learned that hpijs is now contained in hplip. I think that you can get only hpijs if you need it, but your printer is probably supported in hplip. I'm not sure of all the capabilities of a deskjet, but hplip is designed to support HP's multi-dimensional machines--printer, fax, copier, scanner. I wanted to used it since my printer has a card reader.

I didn't post my adventure here since many of the dependencies for hplip are not included in BLFS, e.g.; foomatic. (BTW I have used mainly BLFS 6.1.) Using the README's and install documentation of each dependency, I built and installed them all. I haven't run into any conflicts. I also need to mention that I use CUPS. I also use libusb, but I think ( I can't prove this) that foomatic, CUPS and the rest depend on a device in /dev right now. I'm too chicken to try just libusb.

I did encounter two situations on the hplip install. I think you mentioned that you use KDE. My install failed because the install script looks for the files to place icons on the desktop. I use fluxbox and either don't know where those directories are or I can't put icons on my fluxbox desktop. At any rate, I had to "hack" the install script to eliminate installation of these icons.

The second situation may be pertinent to BLFS. Hplip wants to put its start-up scripts in /etc/init.d. Of course, in BLFS, we have only /etc/rc.d/init.d. Based on your level of purism, you can, if you encounter this, make /etc/init.d a link to /etc/rc.d/init.d or you can hack the install script appropriately.

After I figured this all out, things work great.

Good luck.

Dan